Neighbors from our area, can purchase an Egg Share and in return receive a dozen farm fresh eggs each week for an 18 week season beginning on June 1, 2014 and ending September 30, 2014.
This arrangement creates several rewards for both the farmer and the consumer. Among them are:
Advantages for farmers:
- We have time to plan our marketing of our food early in the year, before our longer days in the field or barn begin
- We receive payment early in the season, which helps with our farm's cash flow and allows us to plan for additional planting or hatching of chickens and ducks
- We enjoy getting to know the people who eat the food we grow and raise.
Advantages for consumers:
- You eat the freshest food possible, full of flavor and vitamin, and none of the artificial chemicals.
- You feel good eating locally grown or raised foods that have not been treated with chemicals and pesticides, injected with artificial growth hormones, or penned inhumanely and mistreated.
- You can visit the farm to meet your farmer, their animals, and see where your food is being grown.
- You may find that your kids will favor food from "their" farm – even veggies they've never been known to eat before!
- You develop a relationship with the farmer who grows your food and learn more about how food is grown.
- You help to support your community, spending your food budget with your neighbors instead buying food full of preservatives, shipped from long distances.
CSA EGG SHARE PROGRAM
Happy hens make delicious eggs.
It's true. Our hens are loved, really loved and well cared for. They have a spacious, airy, 8x8 hen house with exterior nesting boxes. Their new home was built less than a year ago and is free of drafts and inclement weather and has plenty of places for them to roost. Our hens are handled, held, pet and loved on every day. Whether they are still producing or retired in old age (Our retired hens live out their lives until their natural deaths on our farm.), they are treated respectfully and gently handled. Our girls have full access to a large play yard where they are safe from predators and can scratch (one of their favorite activities), take dirt baths or sun themselves to their hearts content. We feed our hens a good quality mixture of fresh greens, cracked corn and hen scratch and they are provided with clean water daily. In the Spring, Summer, and Fall months, the hens rotate to our chicken tractors, where they can feast on the bugs, worms, and green grasses they love to eat.
Because our eggs are from a variety of breeds, the eggs come in a variety of colors from white, light to medium brown, and blue-green. Because the hens live happy lives, eating natural foods, the eggs are the tastiest and most yellow-yolked eggs you can find! They are high in Omega-3 oils and are always fresh.
2014 Egg Share Price List
1. Chicken Egg Share: This share consists of one dozen, fresh, assorted chicken eggs picked up (or delivered with prior arrangements) each week on a mutually agreed upon schedule. The cost for this share is $50 for the 18 week season. You can reserve your egg share beginning on March 1, 2014. We will have 15 shares available on a "first come- first serve" basis. Full payment is due in advance of the season beginning June 1, 2014.
2. Duck Egg Share: This share consists of one dozen, fresh, assorted duck eggs picked up (or delivered with prior arrangements) each week on a mutually agreed upon schedule. The cost of this share is $70 for the 18 week season. You can reserve your egg share beginning on March 1, 2014. We will have 2 shares available on a "first come- first serve" basis. Full payment is due in advance of the season beginning June 1, 2014.
NEW for 2013: Goose Eggs~ One goose egg is approximately the size of 6 chicken eggs. Great for making into omelets, scrambled eggs, or a brunch for two! Also, the large, lovely eggs are great for many craft projects. We will post when these are available. The cost per egg is $2.50. There will be a very limited supply of these available beginning Spring 2013. Please, call to check on the availability of goose eggs.
Please, feel free to contact us at 207-323-4982 to get more information regarding the program or to sign up for your share.